Week 8: Reflection
This week I got to learn about something many people actually really don't know that much about, which was Native American Reservation healthcare. I had no clue how much Native Americans had invented, and what is very interesting is how I wasn't taught anything about them in school. I have encountered this sort of history of medicine, but it failed to mention Native Americans as inventing the things they did. It was also horrific learning about the quality of the IHC hospitals. Many of them are unsanitary and do not have properly educated doctors, which contributes to Native Americans mistrust of doctors. Because how can you trust doctors when you know they aren't safe? My questions last week were did native healers' practices change after Christianity? and how did Christianity affect medicine in general? They did as Native Americans were forced to assimilate or lost when they were murdered. Christianity I haven't really got into yet, but that is what I am planning next week so I am going to stretch that question to there. My other question for next week is how has Christianity and its relationship with other cultures in medicine improved, and has it at all?
Are any native healing practices being used today?
ReplyDelete