Week 5: reflection

 This week I learned about the early history of bias. I found this particularly interesting because I really love history, and the very beginning of medical bias is strongly rooted in human geography. Its particularly interesting learning about the calderas, who are healers in areas like Mexico and the southwest U.S. Their knowledge of their past is limited because of the Spanish, and Christianity from them became part of their practice. Europeans controlling most of the world for hundreds of years has caused other viewpoints to be diminished, which relates to medicine because medicine is a reflection of society. This connection is very interesting to learn about, because it means that we can possibly predict what medicine will be like in the future. My question for next week is: How is more current history related to past history in medicine, and is medicine quick changing or slow changing, even in the very progressive time we are in right now? I can answer one question from last week, which is Are there any defining events in medical bias? That is going to be a long running question throughout my project, and I am hoping to find a few more. The destruction of the Aztecs and Indigenous people throughout the world is one of the starting points for bias, and is likely the largest as these actions by the Europeans have defined much of the world.

Comments

  1. How or why do you think the Europeans developed these biased beliefs? Fear of others?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts