Week 3 reflection

 These last few weeks I have been looking at the events in the hospital and how it is affecting patients, and I have just recently started looking at the actual field of medicine. I have found that there is a lot of sexism in the field, which is really frustrating to me as not showing female doctors the same amount of respect is just ridiculous and causes new discoveries and patient findings to be taken into less consideration. We could potentially have a lot more knowledge about medicine if things women said were taken more seriously earlier, and it still persists today. The studies into the introductions revealed a lot about how women are viewed in serious events in the medical field, and the letters of recommendation reflected that as well. I learned that when you look up important scientists in the recommendation list there are only two women in the entire line-up, the second being Marie Curie as the very last listed on the top bar. The world outside of the medical field also views women as less important in science judged on googles algorithm. 

How do you deal with doctors with bias? What safety measures can be implemented to counter bias? 

These were my questions last week, and I did actually get to learn about this. What worked the best for people who were already doctors were training clinics that forced them to think about their bias and reflect upon it, as well as reading anonymous bias test results to the group with this. Safety measure wise the best thing is to have a safety officer in the building in case bias prevents proper treatment, as well as offering information about biased doctors and what your treatment should look like to patients, so they know how to identify it. Now that I have learned about sexism in the field, I have a few new questions. How can we see racism in the field of medicine? And how does it affect doctors as well as patients?

Comments

  1. This is a great question - What safety measures can be implemented to counter bias?

    What do you think a hospital could do?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts