Week 2 Reflection: Safety and Bias

 The part I really liked about this course was just how much more into detail the actual medicine part of it was, because the safety procedures have to be really in-depth because the small details are often where mistakes are made. I also got to learn more about the legal side of medicine which is really interesting, and I would want to look more into it. The main part was how you do a Root Cause Analysis, and the steps. First, you interview the people involved, including the patient. Then you make a flow chart, check all sources, and review what happened when. Then you think of ways to solve the problem and implement them. It's kind of like being a doctor detective, which I would absolutely want to do. Because of this study, I have a few new questions; How do you deal with doctors with bias? What safety measures can be implemented to counter bias? Personally, I would like to see doctors do more classes in ethics to counter it, and also have more coworkers who are unlike them to have to see more perspectives. I think they can best address their bias by analyzing their decisions say a week after they are made and why they did what they did, so they can pick up what might be influencing them. 


Comments

  1. What safety measures do you think would be the best to put in place to limit the harm done by bias?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts