Week One: Post 3 Reflection - What Is Unconscious Bias?
I think the most interesting thing about what I have learned with the course this week was about previous association. The fact that bias is actually implemented in your brain subconsciously means that fixing unconscious bias in anything will be much more difficult. Sometimes you can catch yourself doing it, seeing the way something behaves which reinforces the idea of it in your brain. I've noticed this more now that I've learned about it, which I find very interesting as it means I can sort of study myself with bias on a day to day basis as well. Previous association also means that what I am working on (which is how to fix bias in the medical field) will be much more interesting because it will require a more in depth or longer lasting solution. Many of the first steps towards changing your thought process actually involves stepping away from your usual thinking, which takes a lot of practice. This week I mostly learned about how unconscious bias affects the medical field on the surface level in a hospital or clinic environment. So then how does bias affect other areas in the medical field, like social work or elderly care? And in legal medical cases, how is bias addressed?
Have you ever taken a quiz about unconscious bias/implicit bias? If not, you should. It will help you understand it from your own perspective. Try this one from Harvard. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html
ReplyDelete